trailering/choke

Regarding the chance of choke occurring by feeding when in motion, I never
would have thought it would have a remote chance of happening either, until
last fall when my husband and I trailered our QH mare and Arabian mare
about 40 miles to enjoy the aspen-lit mountains in our area.  We rode about
four hours, mostly at a walk, but a little trotting, nothing stressful on
the horses, just enjoying the long slow distance and the scenery.  My
little Arab wouldn't drink very much but that isn't unusual for her in cool
weather when she is not working hard.  Got them back to the trailer, loaded
up and drove home and when I unloaded Poppy she took two steps and crumpled
to the ground.  Got her up and same thing, she would walk kind of relaxed
for a few steps and then crumple.  She pooped normally.  I ran inside and
called our vet while Ken kept her going and miracle of miracles he was
there in less than half an hour.  Nothing wrong with gut sounds, gave her
some banamine...he decided to tube her and ran into an obstruction at the
bottom of her esophagus right before the entrance to her stomach...it
pushed on through with the tube and within  a short time she was fine,
eating her mash and drinking like nothing had happened.  The vet suggested
that it could have been just one of those freak things...motion in the
trailer and she was munching her hay and some of it got stuck and it just
wouldn't wash down.
Sorry this is so long but it frightened me badly enough (not to even
mention the vet bill) that I'm not going to feed our horses "in motion"
again.  Would rather stop on the road even if the trip takes a bit longer.
Betty in Colorado (call me paranoid)