farriery business.  I do all the paperwork and scheduling, hand him tools, help
him educate his clients and sometimes even hold hooves (European style!).... so
this reply is sort of from both of us.
#1.... TALK to your farrier!  At least give him the opportunity to explain his
reasoning for what he does and to compromise with you... communication with your
farrier is vital!!
#2...As far as filing and rasping goes, yes, it does remove a protective layer
but that can easily be remedied with something like Mollimentum or Tuff Stuff...
we tell our clients to apply something after rasping.  Sometimes they do and
sometimes they don't... to be honest, unless we're having a drought, this seems
to come back naturally without any adverse effects though on MY horses, I put
the stuff on!  As far as filing more after clinching, I know my husband does
this to "finish" the foot.... it smoothes the edges of the nail so that one may
run their hand right over it without ever feeling a sharp edge.  Part of the
filing is also done to make a little niche for the nails to lay in which he also
does to help a shoe pull cleanly (if a horse gets a shoe caught on something,
ie. a root or in fence, it is better to have fewer nails and less nail clinched
so that it can pull free without pulling a lot of hoof wall with it... my
husband uses only 4 nails on the gelding I ride and we have never had a problem
with that!).  Again, ASK him what he is doing and why.... if you're not
comfortable with the water tank thing, put something on them... avoid products
with alcohol in them as they can dry the foot.  If it smells pretty, it probably
has alcohol in it.
Next, my husband pares down the sole also... it is not always necessarily hard.
It softens and flakes off and sometimes there's a lot of it there that doesn't
need to be... it depends on the horse... a lot of old sole with cracks, etc. can
create a haven for bacteria and things to grow which is not what we want
either.  We do not have experience with easy boots or equi tonics but I would
think that would still hold true.  I will have to do some research now on the
iron shoes vs. plastic ones and concussion..... depends on the type of shoes,
nails, etc.
As far as chains over the nose, we have had to use them sometimes.  We don't if
we don't have to but used correctly they can be helpful.  We don't ask the owner
to yank a horse around but if the horse is trying to get away and the handler
"makes like a post", when the horse gets to the end of the chain, they are going
to think twice about it next time... we trimmed a "wild" horse that no one else
was willing to do and was said could not be done without tranquilizers and
throwing her to the ground... 2 months of TLC at her new home, a chain on her
nose for security and a bolt snap and standing in her pasture with her new
buddies and she never moved... the chain was not needed but it was there if it
was.  Please realize that a farrier has to watch out for himself.... a lot of
people tell us how wonderful and gentle their horses are... and in many cases
upon return visits after they have a good experience they are... but sometimes
the first time is the "test"... it is not necessary to beat a horse and a
farrier should never hit your horse with a rasp.  But if your horse hurts your
farrier and he is unable to work for a day or week or whatever... well, I hope
you get what I mean!  It is good that you are conscientious enough to work with
your horse's feet (many aren't) and if you choose to wait, then your farrier
should honor that... but the two of you should be able to work out a strategy
that keeps him safe and teaches your horse to stand and that the experience will
not kill her.  We also use a device called a "stabilizer" on some horses...it
uses pressure points on the poll and top of the gums that releases endorphins
and helps the horse relax... I have seen some horses relax enough for clipping
or trimming that they did not even need to be held by someone!  That is an
option... very non stressful and non traumatic for the horse.
I am sorry this is so long but I don't think you are being paranoid.... you are
being careful and after all, it is a friend.  TALK TO HIM!  Good luck!
Maggie (the farrier's wife) and Nelson (the farrier)