Fwd: HELP - Need to change farrier maybe

---- Begin included message ----
Help.  I've gradually become uncomfortable with my current shoer, who I've
had for several years now.  He is a great guy in most respects, but his way
is THE way and I'm starting to think I want to try some new things.  For
instance, when he has finished cliching down the nails he always files the
hoof some more.  I asked him about removing the tip layer/moisture barrier
and he said ''just let the area around your water tank get soggy, that'll
fix it.''  Well, I think if it wasn't broken, I wouldn't have to ''fix it.''

Also, I really want to try other options like the equitonics and /or the
easy boots.  He always takes some of the sole off as well, and if I'm going
to have him barefoot for easy boots I'd think I'd want to keep that old hard
sole, wouldn't I?  As for the equitonics, he said that ''studies have shown
iron shoes cut down concussion more that the plastic ones''.  What I've
gleaned from other writers , here and elsewhere, that doesn't seem to be the
case.

The  third reason, I bought a mare this fall who has never been shod and has
had her feet handled very little, although I can pick up all four of her
feet without a fuss.  The boys are a breeze to shoe.  When I had the current
shoer trim her she was quite anxious and he trimmed one foot and then said ,
''well, if I'm going to trim her, lets put a chain over her nose and teach
her that she's a horse.''  Noooooo, I told him I thought it would be better
if I just worked with her feet more before we attemped it again.

Anyway, sorry to be so long, but these are my reasons for wanting to change.
Am I being overly paranoid?  I know that I am paranoid, but I do like to
keep it under control.  The worst part is he is also a friend/acquaintance
and not someone we only see at shoeing time?  I like him as a person, and if
he could meet me half way maybe we could work something out.  ANY
SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  Thanks again.

Gay and little Buddy

---- End included message ----