From: "Outlaw Trail"
To: "ridecamp"
Subject: Trail Preservation
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:03:52 -0700

How great to see so many active comments on trails coming on line. Why does it take crisis however to wake us up! Keep talking and keep the interest alive. We don't often comment on ride camp, but we do read alot and would like to extend those who have for decades worked for trails.

Penny Scribner, Connie Berto, and Bob Morris have dedicated alot of time and effort during AERC years..... many more and no need to go into the lists of names..... as we should all recognize each others efforts.

All you "readers" take a few minutes and read what Connie has written lately, read and re-read our issues of the Grand StairCase Escalante National Monument. Sit down and write a letter of support. Just take that one minute and do it! Like the TEVIS, equestrian trails can only be saved with letters of support. Without the grand campaign to save the TEVIS trail, it would not be.

The Outlaw Trail is more than just the 265 mile AERC event we manage and host! If equestrian use is limited in this HUGE area, there will never be endurance rides again there. We are the only sanctioned event allowed now with "grandfather rights"..... just as the Tevis was..... and we are a Heritage Industry dedicated to the use, development, promotion and preservation of historic trails.

Just think of this.... if we loose our grandfather rights and use is limited...... even if you want to go enjoy the canyonlands one day, you will not be allowed to take more than SIX people on that ride. A normal family reunion could not take place.

We would like to thank all of you who have written letters and sent us copies. We appreciate this support and encourage others to write. We can make a difference.

On the issue of AERC's concern for the Trails Committee.... there is support there and there will be alot more. Crockett established the guidelines for the Trails Committee and put into effect as President the Charter and Procedure of the Committee. He put into effect a permanent membership to the American Horse Council, our Washington DC lobby. Funds are reserved for AERC members to attend Regional and National Trails Symposiums. Guidelines are set to disperse those fund. Yes, AERC can do more, and more funds can go to trails, but first we must all give individual support and write those letters..... attend those meetings..... and write articles for Endurance News to encourage others to do so.

It's called, "getting on the bandwagon"! Not any one person can make a difference, but united AERC can, and will have a voice of thousands!

Thanks for your interest and again, write those letters! Sharon

<<<<