Slant load trailers

I had a older 2 horse straight load and my big Morgan with his big neck got
stuck after turning around to look backwards also. I was at ride camp
talking to someone after he got in and I clipped the butt chain, shut the
back door and then didn't go right to the manager and clip his trailer tie
on.(that's when he turned around) This re-emphasizes what someone else
mentioned about breaking the routine they usually follow when loading their
horses. I have always tried to follow a step by step process so I would do
it all in the right order. Anyway, some big guys were standing close and
helped me push his butt forward so I could unhook the chain and unload him.
Very nerve wracking.
I bought a 2 horse slant with drop windows that have 3 options: screen,
vertical bars and totally open. My horses like to load best with the
windows totally open and stick out their heads but...they don't like to put
them back in very easily. I am trying to get them to load with just the
bars on the windows. I make them stand in the right place, close dividers,
close back door, walk around and climb onto the fender (I'm short) and
attach their trailer ties to the halters by reaching through the bars. It
is more of a hassle than the little straight load was but I wanted the
endurance horse to have a roomy place to ride for long hauls. What I would
like to ask is: do most people with one horse in a 2 horse slant leave it
wide open like a stock trailer? or put the one horse in the front with
divider closed? or put one horse in the back section with divider closed? I
have never had an open stock trailer and it sort of makes me nervous to tie
his head and leave all that space around him. Is it more secure to provide
walls to lean against or better for balance to have open space??
Any opinions greatly appreciated, been mulling this over all winter.
thanks, Kelly and Homerun Baker (hey, this trailer is huge!)