Urgent Update GSENM

>To: otdumas@laplaza.org
>From: lyoness@castlenet.com (Joane White)
>Subject: Urgent Update GSENM
>
>Dear Crockett and Sharon,
>
>As indicated in my prior communication, I have been orgainizing
representation on this end.  I talked to Kate at the Cedar City BLM office
today.  She was most helpful and is confused about why we are so worried
about the proposals.  Nothing was intended to limit our day to day use of
horses in the Monument.  She says that the restrictions deal with Outfitters
and For profit type things. I decided that I had better read the entire
Management Plan myself and see if I agree with her.

>She had heard of your Ride but really knew nothing about it.  All most all
of the BLM people on this project have been tranfered into Cedar City and
none know much about the area. This really concerns me because it means that
your message about Outlaw Trail is not getting across.  Have you considered
coming up and meeting with the BLM before the 12th? They are very willing to
include all kinds of uses and assured me that Special Events could be
permitted---BUT there are some areas that will be more restricted than
others and if the Outlaw Trail goes into those areas, they need to know that
right now and they can redefine the boundaries to protect the Ride.

>Now for the big news:  They have a WEBSITE (and have had for a year) with
the entire Management Plan and maps AND AN EMAIL FOR PUBLIC IMPUT TO MR.
WILKINS.  Kate said most of their responses to the Management Plan had come
by email and she was surprised that we were told otherwise.

>The website is:   www.ut.blm.gov/monument
>
>To access the email for responses hit Feedback at the bottom of the Homepage.
>

>Now have everyone on every horse list you know email them!  BUT they need
to be specific.

>I just got a mailing today from a group called the Utah Shared Access
Alliance  They have done a mass mailing complete with form letters and
preaddressed stamped envelopes on snowmobiles, RV's and Horses.  I called
and left my number and asked them to contact me.  Their number is 801-484-3940.

>Bad news is the BLM cannot extend the public input period because the
President mandated completion of everything by September 19th and they are
afraid they cannot meet it now. I think that the planners would agree to any
reasonable proposal changes--particularly if you can put them in writing and
ask them to be included in the final plan.

>Crockett--They need you to overlay your ride map over the maps of the
Monument (which are linked to the Website) and get it to them as fast as
possible.  I also think you should call and talk to Kate directly and get
her a lot of material on the Ride, including your Website.  Her number is
435-865-5100.

>I am waiting for calls from Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Utah Sportsmen
for Fish and Wildlife, the Utah Cattlemen's Association and this Alliance.
Will get back to all this weekend.

>Joane White J.D.
>Price, Utah
>
>PS I'm emailing this to Ridecamp so they can start sending letters of
support by email. If anyone has the excellent letter that was offered as a
format, please post it again so everyone can use it.  Also please forward
this information to all other horse related groups.