Worming and loading

Hi, all,

  Has anyone out there used this new stuff called "Quest" gel? I think the ads
say it's "moxidectin" and unrelated to ivermectin. It also claims to melt in
the horses mouth, which I would find advantageous, as Jordan can hold a glop
of paste in his mouth for what seems to be forever.................

  Jordan also wouldn't load when I bought him. We had a rented trailer, with a
time limit of two hours, it was raining like hell and the sellers wanted us
off the property so that they could leave. So we basically cranked Jordan in
with a lead rope and a very strong husband (mine), inch by inch. Even then it
took an hour.Jordan was a soaking wet wreck when we got him home and the
moment we opened the door he leaped backwards out of it. No one was hurt, but
it was NOT an auspicious way to begin our relationship.

Knowing this was NOT the right way to to do things, last summer, when it was
nice and warm (oh, I do remember those days......) I read John Lyon's book
"Lyons on Horses" and followed his loading lesson to the letter. Every single
day I took Jordan to my barnlord's trailer, and if all he did was put his head
into the trailer, that was good. It took me about a week to get him to load,
but that's because I took my good sweet time, no arguments, no bribes, no
shouting...sometimes we'd stand looking at the trailer  for an hour.  A
dressage whip to cue him and patience and patience and more patience. Since I
had no where I needed to go and had all summer to train him, I took my time.

Now Jordan loads. No whips, no ropes, no bribes..because he learned that
there's no trolls in the trailer, waiting to eat him...
Michelle and Jordan  (OK, I'm loaded. Now can I have some hay??)