one more lesson learned...comments....

OK, Kimberly, I'll eat dirt, too...there is no shame on RideCamp.

There was a spot behind the barn where I boarded Hilary that she
always reacted to.  It is an open area with some old farm equipment
scattered about.  The owner always mowed a path through this area to
the trails to the woods.  This summer, after an evening ride, I decided to
hand graze her in that area thinking she would perhaps realize there is
nothing *really* scarey there.

The Timothy grass was tall enough to reach Hilary's chest, and we were in
the mowed path.  She wanted nothing to do with it and I realized "bad
idea".   I started to turn her to head back to the barn.  Well, I
turned her into me, bringing her shoulder right next to my shoulder.
I was also turning.  It happened so fast and yet seemed to be in slow
motion.  She spooked "in place" (as John Lyons says).  She did not
jump, bounce, or even take a step.  She shuddered (for lack of a
better word) all over her body.  I was close enough and only on one foot
so that that slight contact caused me to fall under her on my back.
I was looking up at her belly and all four of her hooves.  She gathered
herself and jumped off me, clipping my chin with her hoof.  She stayed put
after jumping off me and did not run or pull away.  I still had the lead rope in
my hand.   My chin was cut and I kinda knew my jaw was broken.  I led her
back to the barn, put her up and went to the emergency room, had four stitches
and a tetanus shot (owww!)....by the way, horse people should have a
tetanus shot every five years....The right mantible was fractured but
I have recovered fully (you might not believe this, but I'm not as chatty in
person as I have been on RideCamp!  :  )

The lesson learned?  Even if you've spent a bazillion hours ground
training your horse....keep a safe distance, no matter what!!  (or
you may find yourself on a liquid diet  ; )

Judy &
Hilary....sheesh, would you rather I bounce around??
Newburgh, Maine  USA