Sweepstakes Nominated

I got my first Arabian about 1 1/2 years ago, (had and still have QH I
have used in LD rides)  BIG  gorgeous hunk of a gelding with Aladdinn
and Bask bloodlines. Wonderful guy, good attitude, never tires out, he
has a home for life. Now the question -- just what value exactly is
"sweepstakes nominated"?  I don't show him, just use him for trail,
endurance (occasionally) and will probably do some competetive trail.
Some people  "in the know" said that was desireable, but I have no idea
why.  Does "sweepstakes" and $.75 get you a cup of coffee?