Re: NPCA (heh, heh, heh)

Susie Wimberly wrote:

> RideCamp:
>
> bcc of back & forth with NPCA.
> I am thinking about becoming a Shenandoah Park watcher slash activist.
> Figure that since I ride my HORSE in the park (oh, yeah, baby I can
> see where this one is going to go: instant thorn in the side!), I
> should probably report the result of my endurance training rides to
> NPCA. Maybe I can get some of their volunteers to come out and clear
> trail!!!!

DELICIOUS!!!

Go for it!!!

I think infiltration of related organizations is a perfectly legitimate,
and very important activity.  They need to hear our voices telling
them our version of the story.

Another thing NPCA is involved in, though it seems to be one of their
more backburner issues, is getting the ponies removed from the southeast
barrier island national parks, including Assateague.  (Evidently there
are two herds on Assateague, the "Misty" herd which is controlled by
the Chincoteague Fire Department, and then the herd in the National
Seashore.  It's the herd on the National Seashore they want to evict.)

But getting back to a more trails-related topic...

You can sign yourself up for their national e-mail action alert program
as well, not just the pacific coast action alert sub-group.  You do
not need to be a member.  Go to:

  http://www.npca.org/panform.html

And fill it out, leaving the "Membership Number" field blank.  When
you submit the form, it will *appear to fail*.  That is, it comes
back saying "membership number required."  However, it actually does
go through behind the scenes, and you'll get an e-mail message welcoming
you to the system.  I signed up and have already gotten a message
urging me to write about Escalante.

One thing I noticed in perusing various letters from members in the
_National Parks_ monthly magazine is that people get "letting herds
of wild horses roam the parks at will and deteriorate the environment"
all mixed up in their minds with "people trucking in their horses
and riding in the park on marked trails."  They don't seem to see
it as two very different ecological issues.

I'd love to see a rebuttal letter from Connie Berto to the _National
Parks_ magazine regarding Brian Huse's call to action.  She could
ask the magazine what kind of screening it does to make sure that
these action alerts that they publish are accurate and truly
warranted!

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Massachusetts, USA