Bonding

Karen,

I can relate to your experience with your foal.  I bred my first horse,
an Arabian mare a few years ago and after a few attempts got her
settled.  A few months later the vet said she had absorbed.  So I was
very surprised to see her sides bouncing around months later and had the
vet out.  This time they said she was in late stages of pregnancy.  The
night she foaled, her new little filly was barely on her feet and made
her way right to me.  We've been inseparable ever since.

She is very responsive to my voice.  When I had found my mare was still
pregnant I would rub her belly and talk to her foal "in utero."  The
foal would start bouncing around like mad in there!  I didn't know at
the time if she would be a he or she, so I nicknamed her "Thumper."  She
turned out to be a beautiful filly, who I named Fadarah.  She is now
going on two and still winnies when I call her name.  She is the first
to greet me at the fence and stays by my side constantly.  I would say
that some kind of bonding took place while we were waiting for her to
make her way into this world.  She is very special to me and I couldn't
part with her for the world!

Signed, proud "Grandma,"
Kelli.