Re: maybe we should talk about helmets for a while...

In a message dated 1/26/99 7:41:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
helgeson@lansford.ndak.net writes:

<< So, I just want to thank everyone who took the time to write about their
 experiences to show me how stupid and wrong I have been. Thanks :-) >>

I'd file this under "Fools walk in where angels fear to tread".  We've all
been lucky somehow, as we've all been unhorsed at some time or other.  Maybe
the danger lies in the Arab horse that is so aware of external stimuli and
reacts so quickly to it.  (Of course, I've seen some pretty spooky QHs, too.)
Or maybe it lies in this sport where speed over uneven terrain is part of the
game.  Or maybe it is because it involves so many of us older people who,
years ago, would have retired into a quiet "walk in the park".  Who knows, but
then we never used seat belts in cars years ago either.  Whatever ... the use
of a helmet gives me a sense of self confidence that really helps.  It doesn't
make me carefree, but it helps to know I've done something to protect myself,
the best thing I can do short of not riding or competing at all.

BMc