Fwd: prices and snobbery

In a message dated 1/25/99 10:50:02 AM EST, wendyl@jps.net writes:

<<  Not one time in 3 years have I gone out and looked at a horse, for
 ANY price, that was sound, straight legged, had good feet and conformation,
was
 well cared for since birth, good ground manners, hauled and tied well, and
was
 capable of carrying itself in a balanced manner under saddle in a snaffle bit
 with no other equipment. (ie martingale)  >>

I wondered also if the buyer accually offered money to the seller, if a buyer
wants one of my horses, offers the $$$, and seems to be an OK person, that
horse if sold. But the other point you are making.......over on the east
coast, specifically NC, we are in the center of QH country and Hunter country.
It's very hard to sell an arab for any amount of $$$.  Back when ('80's) I
bred a few arabs, I would end up selling (or giving away) reg. purebred
fillies and geldings that were 4 yrs old, green broke, all the dressage
basics, been on the trail many times, excellent quiet horses.  If I could
sell, they usually went for less than $900.  Now, my last arab I bought I paid
$1800 for.   The girl wanted $2500, but in over a year of advertising, etc, no
one wanted her.  She is a large boned, 15.0 purebred, Bask bred mare.  Sound
and trail savvy.  In the arab market here, she was lucky to find anyone who
wanted an arab.  People who buy and sell regularly (traders) won't take arabs,
they can't sell them.  they won't take them if you give them to them!  It's
sad, but true.  Our "A" shows may, if lucky, have 3 entries in most classes!
I'm the ODD one out on a trail ride.
Leigh

---- Begin included message ----
Did someone out there actually find a horse to buy and the people would not
sell to them because they weren't top competitors? Not to call anyone a liar,
I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe. Did you offer them money? Just curious.
   On the subject of endurance horse prices, several of you have stated that
there are plenty of great horses out there that have been wormed, trimmed and
properly cared for for $1500 - $2000. or less. My question is - Where? And
what
makes you think that they were wormed and trimmed and handled since birth?
I know breeders here that swear they worm their horses, and they do---once a
year whether they need it or not.

I live in California. For the past 3 years I have looked at over 150 horses a
year for sale. Probably called on over 300 a year more and weeded them out
over
the phone. Horses from the newspaper, at breeder's farms, at the track, and in
backyards.  Maybe 1 in 100 was actually the height advertised and had sort of
straight legs. I NEVER, EVER, found one that was properly trained. Or even not
screwed up. Not one time in 3 years have I gone out and looked at a horse, for
ANY price, that was sound, straight legged, had good feet and conformation,
was
well cared for since birth, good ground manners, hauled and tied well, and was
capable of carrying itself in a balanced manner under saddle in a snaffle bit
with no other equipment. (ie martingale) In 1996 I vet checked 6 horses and
not
one passed, and it wasn't for something insignificant.
  In the meantime, we sold 3 horses that fit that description, for $3500. -
6000.  In retrospect, I was crazy. Wish I still had them, should have sold
them for $10,000 or more. But that's not thepoint.   I would like to know
how many of you, in Calif. have found horses that fit the above criteria, at
any price, and if so, what was the price?
   Just as an aside..don't feel guilty if you bought a horse for a good price.
Everyone loves a bargain. But don't be one of those people who call me and say
"I'm looking for a registered arab gelding, about 6 years old, pretty, well
broke with trail experience, that I can race and my kids can ride alone, and
I can't spend any more than $2000....oh, and I want it to be a bay."
Wendy

---- End included message ----