RE: 2 questions

Late reply to this one. One thing you can try doing is adding apple cider
vinegar to the horse's feed. It doesn't repel flies very well but does help
with mosquitos, knats and no se'ums which are often the really itchy bites.
Secondly, lots of horses are sensitive to oil based sprays. If your fly
spray has petroleum/mineral oil in it you may be causing the itching. This
includes Skin-So-Soft which is mainly mineral oil. Have had three different
horses that would experience major itching and even skin peeling from the
oil based sprays. Switch to water base sprays and hose or bath it off
regularly. The build up of sprays and sweat is also a problem.

Bonnie Snodgrass