From: Nancy DuPont <htrails@earthlink.net>
To: Karen Schwartz <karlar@flash.net>
Date: Saturday, January 23, 1999 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: Best places for trail riders

>In Alameda and Contra Costa county we have 60 parks all linked together by
trails. I am sure you know that but I thought I would emphasize this fact.
The old horsemen in our area envisioned the entire eastbay linked by 100's
of miles of trail. We almost have it all. George Cardinet is one of those
horsemen who will celebrate his 90th birthday April 10th. Just on Mt. Diablo
alone he built 50 miles of trails for horses. Mt. Diablo links to everywhere
else. We have ridden to Tahoe from here.

>At 06:04 PM 1/23/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>>>>

>Dear Rick,
>    So what makes Colorado so great and so much better than California?
I've been wondering if there is a "best place in the US" to live for those
of us who love to ride a variety of challenging trails, with reasonable
weather, and enough AERC rides to keep us content at least most of the year.
>    Although we Ride Campers are shy about expressing our opinions, I hope
some of us will be willing to talk about the riding benefits of favorite
locales. My area, for instance, has about 10 great public parks offering
great conditioning within an hour's drive. And our weather is pretty good
9-10 months of the year. But the urban sprawl and the freeway traffic in the
East Bay are really horrendous. We're also lucky to have several well run
endurance rides within less than an hour's drive.