Re: Endurance halter horses?

I bought an Arab stallion who had been used to breed Show horses, but he was
getting older and his get were not winning as often because they are now
looking for a different type of horse than what they looked for when this
stallion was young. The stallion was 18 years old and I ride one of his sons,
The stallion is pure Egyptian and problem with his get were that they were too
much of a hand full for most of the buyers of show horses who are 14 year
girls.

In endurance you need that kind of drive and he tends to pass it on. The heart
means as much as the conformation and if you disagree look at all the horses
at a ride who have conformational faults. Not too many perfect horses out
there, probably less perfect riders, and we seem to manage because we as
riders have a drive (heart).…

When you find a truly magnificent horse you normally find great papers behind
it, but when you find truly magnificent papers you do not necessarily find a
good horse. All we can do is keep crossing the genes that work and with luck
the results sometimes will turn out. We have a much better chance when we try
than when we just breed for looks and if it can't make in the show ring it
gets sold as an endurance prospect.

Jerald Thiessen

Sandhaven Saddlebreds