Re: Hoof help

Cindy,

I think I would have gone with a light rim shoe rather than the eventers.
They weigh less, and would put less stress on the hoof wall, IMO.  But, it's
too late to do anything about that now.

I would cut the pad out, leaving the rim.  Keep using your hoof sealer stuff,
and put Rainmaker or something like it around the coronary band. Try NOT to
reclinch the nails, it can pull them through the botton, unless you are good
at hammer clinching, which is much less stressful to the hoof wall. Get him
on a good biotin supplement, like Biotin Gold, Bio-Plus, or Farriers Freind.

I jave had WONDERFUL results toughening feet with this:

1 part Tincture of Iodine, AKA. Stronger, or 7% Iodine  (local, or mail order)
1 part  Venice Turpentine  ( local, or mail order)
1 part  Formaldehyde ( order it from a pharmacy, I get mine from Fred Meyer )

Mix this together in a heavy plastic, or glass jug.  Spray it on, or brush it
on, using protective, acid proof gloves.  The vets and shoers around my area
used to sell the mixture, but due to the fact that formaldehyde is nasty
stuff, they don't do that anymore.

This stuff is a miracle!  It rains here all the time, and it's VERY rocky.
Makes for sore footed horses in a hurry.  I spray them everyday for a week
after shoeing, then once or twice a week after, depending on how wet the
weather.

I never use pads.  Haven't had any problem with bruises, abcesses, white
line, or thrush.

And:  Thanx to everyone who sent Horses for sale emails.  I found one,
practically in my own backyard! ( And his feet are getting the full
treatment!)

Julie, Rayna, Jynxie the Wonder Pony, and Duncan, the fat newbie. ( Not for
long! ; )