Re: Infrared heat sensor

Tom:  (with your permission I would like to send this to ridecamp)

What kind of leg or muscle injuries could you pick up with an infrared heat
scanner?  Any chance of picking up a suspensory or ligament pull??????   I
am guessing that it will  if pick up hot spots from a saddle that does not
fit right.  I ride in a treeless saddle so I have no hot spots.  In doing a
leg scan it did pick up on some skinned shins on one horse and a stone
bruise (HOOF) on another horse.  Since all my horses are pretty healthy I am
not finding  anything unusualy on a total body, muscle scan.  What kind of
things might I pick up?

I have had only had the scanner a couple of days so here is what I have been
doing.  I scan the horses hoofs.  The scanner records the highest reading.
I scan each one sepeartly, recording the highest reading. I then do the
lower legs and compare them,  then a whole body scan from about 4 feet away.
The extremities are always several degrees cooler than the muscle mass of
the horse. All this only takes maybe 5 min.  I do this once prior to take
off and once again on landing.  I have been spending a little more time,
maybe 10 min doing the scan after the ride.

My company is field testing one of these scanners, under $350.00, it has a
buit in laser beam and records 1/10 of a degree incriments.

My wife had a meat bee sting on the back of her leg, I was able to pick up a
4 degree differance from about 3 feet away.

Chris Martin
Nitram, Inc.