Desert Pines 80/100

     It was a grand endeavor, but the last time it will happen.  There were
so few entrants that vet checks looked like Montessori classrooms with five
volunteers/vets per rider!  It was hot.  It was humid.  It was hard.
I did not finish the ride.  My horse had a sore shoulder at the Borrow Pit
and we pulled.  I was attempting to do a 100-miler with no crew.  Don't do
it.  Terry's rides are always full of support, more than any other I've ever
been to, but still you need your own crew--that friend or husband or wife who
expects you and is glad/relieved to see you at each successive vet check, who
takes your horse from you and offers you a chair, ministers to whatever need
you have, takes your unreasonable abuse with a shrug and a hug (you can't be
unreasonable with a volunteer--you barely know them!), slaps on the ice
boots, throws on the blanket, slathers their own clothing and body parts with
electrolytes, cools your head, warms your heart, infuses you with courage, is
proud of your effort.  I commend every rider who single-hands, every lonely
hunter seeking heart.  You are brave.
     Congratulations Wendy and Karen who won the 100 and to Kirsten who won
the 80.  Special thanks to my "Montessori classroom"--Pete Davies, a patient
stethoscope wielder and easy boot remover extraordinaire, Barney and Linda
Fleming, patient and caring as always, Dr. Guzman who would not rest (I think
we were all bored) 'til he found the soreness in Basko's shoulder, the ReAct
man who persistently pursued a trailer ride back to basecamp for us, Jim Fox
who came with his hotrod truck and Terry's trailer, the wonderful and calm
ministerings of the volunteers, and finally to Terry and David whose effort
is huger than any of us will know because their finesse is so polished.

Toni Semple and Bask Concerto