Educate the newbies (was unidentified subject)

I was not the one who suggested a 20 minute presentation (whew, I'm still
smoking here) but I did say that at a "mock" distance ride that our local
club held, we put together a handout and I did say, yes, it cost
money....my own, in fact.  So I'm not a ride manager but I do understand
they have a lot to do.  I gave completion certificates, awards for
divisions and high point overall (We also marked the trail) and though we
took donations, more went out of our pocket than in.  We wanted our friends
and neighbors to have an experience and learn about what we do, how and
why... Ideally, people should take responsibility to learn about endurance
before they do it...I DID.  But not everyone will and I appreciate the vet
and RM who takes time to answer questions and educate people.  There isn't
anything wrong with that. (perhaps in EXPECTING it but I suspect more vets
would rather take a few minutes to educate than to treat a horse in
trouble)  I imagine that few minutes (5 or 20) will save a few horses from
some serious grief.  That's what I like about our sport...we look out for
each other.  Your suggestion for someone (a rider) to volunteer to do a
presentation/handout/whatever for newbies is a good one and I firmly
believe that if there is something needs doing/changing/improving, then
riders should be the ones to take initiative and do something.  Perhaps a
couple of experienced riders could volunteer to do just that thing... a
presentation or demonstration (but earlier as most ride meetings are late
and riders want to get to bed and sleep afterward).  There are no
complaints here about ride managers or vets from me...  but the fact that,
in spite of my reading and research before my first ride, I was still
confused and overwhelmed doesn't mean I shouldn't have my questions
answered or be helped out at a ride.  Heck, we need newbies... especially
small rides who have a tough time breaking even.  We not only want them to
learn about our sport, we want them to like it enough to keep coming back!
The "let 'em learn on their own first" attitude is detrimental to the
spirit of our sport.
Maggie
Michigan