Re: Unidentified subject!

There are a million things that a ride manager has to get done
before and during a ride. And all of these million things cost
money. Too
many small rides lose money. The vets work hard and are
underpaid. But
now you guys want more from the RM and the Vet? Someone to give
a 20
minute presentation? that all sounds great, but who is going to
do it?
It would take time to get the material together and cost money
to print
it out. I have been to rides that have material printed out for
education for the newbies. But these same people are standing in
front
of the RM right before the start of the ride, asking a lot of
questions.
I doubt that they even picked up and read the info. sheet. Just
think about it. If these people came to this ride and did not
bother
to learn about what they were getting into before they got
there,
do you really think that they are going to take the time to read
some
printed sheets right before the ride?

I am not saying that there are not people who would. But I think
that it
is the riders responsibility to gather information and learn
about endurance
before they do a ride. Not the RM's or vets responsibility to
teach them.
If someone wanted to compete in dressage, do they just show up
to a horse
show and compete without any prior knowledge or experience? Is
it up to
the judge to teach them dressage while they compete? Or the
sport of soccer
or football? Endurance is a sport, a contest. People need to
educate themselves
before they compete. That is what Allison did. And that is the
purpose of CTR.
But please do not put that on the shoulders of the RM, they have
enough to
do already. I think that before all of you riders start making
suggestions as to what the RM should be doing, put on a ride
yourself, become a RM. Then you will be in the position to say
what you think RM's should be doing.

And if you still feed strongly that there should be a
presentation for education at the next ride. Then put the info
together, have it printed out as a hand out, and tell the RM
that you will do the presentation. I am sure that the RM would
be delighted
with your help.

Lynette,
who has helped to put on a ride, and would never dream of asking
the
RM to do more then what they already have to do.