Re: Insurance

>Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 23:39:20 -0700
>To: "Kirsten Price" <splash@dakotacom.net>
>From: Nancy DuPont <Htrails@Earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: Insurance
>
>YOur liability Insurance (the kind of insurance you buy to keep someone
from sueing you if they get hurt on your horse or on your property or at
your event) or anyone's in the state of California will not cover a person
who gets injured while riding a horse. Like your horse, or a borrowed horse
at an event or schooling show or trail ride.  Major medical as you say is
medical insurance that you or I buy to cover our medical bills in case we
get injured.  BUT let's say as the insurance companies do, that they
"assume" anyone riding a horse that gets injured in a fall will be covered
by their medical and major medical insurance (like blue cross or shield or
Lifeguard).  Then that person learns she can never have children because her
pelvic was broken in two places.  That her rotator cup is so damaged that
she loses full use of her left arm.  T hen she sues you for the damages.
Your LIABILITY insurance will defend you, but if you lose, let's say a
settlement of about $80,000 against you, your insurance will not pay because
they do not cover a rider on the horse.  It may be cheaper for them to pay
off, but if there is an exclusion in the coverage they are not obligated to
pay off and you are stuck with the bill.  Such is the case in California. We
are all stuck with the bill!!! I am not talking about just event coverage
and I am not talking about "major medical" since we both agree that major
medical covers only "me" if I get hurt.  To reduce your confusion I will say
it this simply in your words you say: "Liability insurance is for when I do
something
>>stupid (negligent) and someone else gets hurt. The insurance company would
>>then pay out to the injured party and/or defend me in court if I got sued.
>What I am saying is that your insurance company will NOT pay out to the
injured party if you get sued.  It will pay to defend you if you do
something stupid or negligent but it will NOT pay out if you lose, IF THE
PERSON WAS RIDING YOUR HORSE.
>tHERE is an exclusion for riders in your liability coverage.  If you need
this clarified please ask me again.  But any insurance company in the state
of California will admit to this and what is so sad, is we all think we are
covered and we are not.