Etiquette and conditioning questions

    Well, Sabre and I have made it through 10 "training" rides now and I'm planning our first ride for the end of November.  (he didn't buck yesterday - a first!!)
    I'd like to get some feedback on a couple of things before I decide what distance to do and whether to do it in November or wait until the next ride - March of 2000.
    1. Sabre is supremely green - I have NO idea what a ridecamp is going to do to his delicate sensibilites.  So far he's been very good in groups of 4 to 5 horses on pleasure rides but ya never know...  So, is it sufficient to put green ribbons in his tail and mane to warn other people of his status?  He doesn't kick but he will "snarl" if he's jostled by another horse.
    2. He is handling conditioning about 3x better than Sunny (my last LD mount) did.  We're doing 1.5 to 2 hour rides several times a week and his attitude and impulsion is great.  My question is:  His previous owner took him trail riding at least several times a week and loped, trotted, etc.  Should I consider this as LSD conditioning?  How do you know what their tendons and joints are ready for?  BTW, he's 7 - I think.
Thanks in advance,
Rachael (overprotective in the extreme probably)
& Sabre (new trick mom!  I can eat a tree while trotting!  CRAAASH!$#@^)
in South Texas