Re: RC: Re: Re: Re: David Boggs?? How about Us???

At 11:04 AM 9/23/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Dr. Newell;
>
>You may not call it abuse...

I don't call it abuse because it isn't. I used to work for the MSPCA, so I
have a fair grip on what "abuse" is.

>but what is the necessity of trimming muzzles and
>ears?

What's the "necessity" of owning or riding a horse? Of grooming it?  Or of
riding it over long distances in a short time span?

>What ignorant judge deemed this was necessary and made the horse more
>beautiful?  It's just another way to get away from really judging the
>conformation IMHO.  Would my horse get a second look (or even in the ring)
>if he wasn't "cosmetically correct"?

I don't know, never having set eyes on your horse, if he'd get a second
look. But if you paid the entry fee  and followed the class specifications,
you'd certainly be allowed in the ring.

	And who made you the arbiter of what's beutiful, either? What one is doing
when one shows is soliciting the opinion of the judge as to whether one's
horse is, in that judge's opinion, prettier, or better conforned, or closer
to the standard than the other horses in the ring. If you don't want to
participate in showing your horse, then DON'T. No one is going to get upset
about it. Trimming hair is a matter of custom, in general. I never told
anyone else that they had to remove hair from their horses. Anyone who
wants to leave it is welcome. Why are you crawling up my butt about it? As
I said before--I have seen horses with and without muzzle whiskers place at
shows. I myself and other folks I know leave the hair on the inside of the
ears.

	But don't try and convince me that anyone who trims their horse is
committing some heinous act.

				--CMNewell