More Montana Ride stuff

Hoooray for some of the posts supporting ride managers!!   I'm sure most of
us have a window before and after putting on a ride saying "I ain't doing
this again!!!)
I often wonder if Heidi's words about competent and having brains belongs in
the same sentence with Ride Manager??  If we had much of either we probably
wouldn't do it, but then where would we all ride??
I told myself I wouldn' get into this again, however I'd like the legal
lites to consider this   picture.
They have a limited area to work with.   The last loop of the ride comes up
a dirt road  that is open to the public,  then turns off on a narrow road
that goes to a private church camp.   All riders have been using this road
to go to and from vet and timer area and trailers, and to start and end all
loops.  Ride management has in and out timers on trucks with good visibility
and radios.  Where the riders turn off the first road there is a man with a
radio.  He calls in riders coming as he sees them.
Enter a pickup driven by the pastor of the church camp just come to see how
things are going.  He turns in  (no riders in sight at this time) and drives
slowly up the road.
No riders yet.   Riders come running, radio man calls in to finish line man
who has loud speaker.  Truck still moving slowly along road,  maybe out of
sight of first radio man?  Likely has no idea horses are running up behind
him??
The rest everyone has heard several times.
What could ride management have done at this point??
Where do we go from here?
I hope to put on a ride again next year, I'm mostly past the NOT AGAIN part,
but don't like to hear blame scattered too thick  when we do the best we
can.
What do you think lawyers??  How can we protect ourselves?
 Dot Wiggins

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Wiggins;Dot
FN:Dot Wiggins
TEL;HOME;VOICE:2083552326
ADR;HOME:;;PO box 95;Midvale;Idaho;83645;USA
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:PO box 95=0D=0AMidvale, Idaho 83645=0D=0AUSA
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:dotwgns@cyberhighway.net
REV:19990922T165245Z
END:VCARD