Re: RC: Montana Accident

> Would I have been
>the cause of a terrible accident?  It is so hard sometimes to see where the
>course is (especially in camp :), I'm not trying to throw blame, but ride
>management needs to ride manage (especially the course).  Does that make
>sense?
>
>Sylvia

Sylvia,

Sometimes competitors' actions are unpredictable.  We located the
finish line at Norco well away from camp (which was a PITA from a
mgmt standpoint).  Nobody had parked near there as of bedtime Friday
night.  We had chalk across the finish line and two orange cones set
out, along with an EZ Up shelter to the side, well over a hundred
yards from the vet check, room for 300 rigs elsewhere on either side
of the "runway" --and people still tried to park ON the runway
Saturday morning.

With 90 volunteers on my ride, you would think that we'd have the
manpower to have someone stand on either side of the finish line at
all times over a 12 hour course.  We had finish line timers that had
to caution people pulling rigs around.  Barb can confirm, but I think
most of the trouble was 25 milers being finished and leaving early.
We had radio contact with the check less than 4 miles away to be able
to alert the finish line that the riders were coming, but not every
ride is set up to have any advance notice.  next time I suppose we'll
use caution tape.  It's ridiculous given our site that we have any
problem at all, it is in the boonies compared to the rest of camp.  A
tradeoff for safety vs. having the finish where spectators can view
it.

Lynne

Ontario, CA
Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) 9/2/00