Re: Ride Managers' Viewpoint

Louise Burton writes:  "As a ride manager for 12 years, and a member of the RM committee, I don't really know why we manage rides.  I made $100 on my ride last weekend, which is being donated to our local endurance club, so it certainly is not for the money, and believe me, I'd much rather have been riding!

As for the finish line, if you put it at a "safe" place away from county roads and camp, people complain it is too far to walk to, no one wants to sit there and be the finish timer, etc..so you can't win."

Louise:
Well said!  As a multiple time CTR Ride Manager, I have a standard retort to riders who complain about needing more workers to handle those odd jobs that no one wants, and the RM ends up doing (or One's spouse is talked into said job.)
  I simply say, "Good, I appreciate your input, and I can count on you to leave the horse at home and come work the next ride?"
    The majority start crawfishing and backpeddling, telling me about how they have to ride, and they contribute by paying entry fees, etc.  So do I.  A well rounded endurance or competitive trail rider also works rides, so they understand how a ride happens and all the many details involved.

I must say that this current thread about the Montana accident has been enlightening.  I really appreciate the legal viewpoints being expressed here for us to read and study.  My thanks to all the lawyers for sharing their expertise.  ~S~

Gretchen Patterson, ESMT
http://www.horsemassage.com