Re: RC: Breaking two year olds to ride

Hi Lynette,
    I'm not sure if "breaking" and "starting" can be called the same thing.
    I don't believe "breaking" two year-olds is a wise thing, but I do
believe "starting" them is okay (in the hands of someone experienced in it).
    In the Fall of their second year, I consider:
        (1)  Mental state of the youngster
        (2)  Conformation
        (3)  Do I have the appropriate facility/equipment
        (4)  I will not "ride" this horse, I will "start" this horse
    Some horsemen consider long two year-olds very similar to two year-old
humans, i.e., their mental processes are being formulated even in static
situations, so why not INTRODUCE (not perfect) some light influences into
that arena.
    Long two year-olds can be safely FREE-lounged with correctly wrapped legs
(especially front legs) in a roundpen of correct size, with the correct
footing and with the correct methods.  (Bearing in mind joint
growth/structure and the need to help and not hinder.)
    At the correct time, they can be saddled, Free-lounged some more and
safely mounted and WALKED under saddle, learning about (1) seat pressure, (2)
slight leg pressure and (3) rein pressure.
    Those three things can safely be introduced by one with the skill to do
it and someone with the correct goals in mind.
    After about forty-five days of this, the long two year-old can then be
turned out for the winter, with LOW-level schooling beginning around June of
the following year.
    This method, employed by some very talented horsemen, has worked for
years.
    This method, employed by some horsemen without the talent to employ it
CORRECTLY has destroyed some wonderful horses.
    AS A RULE, most long two year-olds are better off (as you say) left alone
and STARTED at four years old.
    I know the late Harold Brite (associated with Bazy T. for years and
years) was a talent in this regard.  I don't know who is presently doing it
for her, but I will go out on a limb here and say I know Bazy would not allow
someone without the correct talent and the wherewithall to employ it
correctly...after all, long before she produced so many horses, she was a
horseman.
    I know her ilk, in that regard, and respect them.

Frank.