Re: Accident at ride this weekend in Montana...???

Jennifer-

Some of your friend's facts are correct; some are not.  I witnessed the
accident at the Posse ride.  First of all, the 2 people racing were on the
50 not the 25.  I'm not sure they were "spurring" their horses.  They were
racing to the finish and it was difficult for them to stop their horses,
going full speed.  I am not making excuses for what they did.  I don't
believe Jim was not breathing for 2 minutes.  I saw him groaning within a
minute after it happened.  I believe he was conscious most of the time.  I
know several people talked to him.  I personally saw one of the racers
walking towards Jim asking what she could do, and someone told her in a
scolding voice to get as far away from him as she could.  They did life
flight Jim out.  I don't know how extensive the injuries are--but at the
ride meeting, they told us he would be ok.  It was still awful and an
extremely difficult situation for ride management.  There is no rule against
racing in, but this time due to the truck being an obstacle, it was reckless
behavior in most people's opinions.  Everyone at the ride was concerned.
After a very serious meeting and at the suggestion of Sarah Metcalf, DVM,
the two racers agreed to voluntarily reliquish their placings and accept
completion only.  Everyone thought that the gesture was important and
meaningful.  If ride management had disqualified them, there might have been
a protest and ugly implications for insurance and the future of endurance
racing.

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
steenhof@cyberhighway.net