Re: RC: Spanish Mustangs: learning curve

Hi Sally -
    I also have a Spanish Mustang so I'll take this opportunity to defend the breed.  IMHO you have just described conformation features that can be found in all breeds.  It's true that Spanish Mustangs aren't built like the breeds we see more often but that doesn't mean they can't get the job done.  (I happen to think they can get more jobs done better than a lot of others!).  Before you blame your horse's weak rear end why not also look at saddle fit, girth fit, and your riding.  I changed girths the other day and Dino just wasn't moving in his usual way (he is one that floats up and down hills in spite of his "small" rear end).  I assumed it was because he was wearing a breast collar for the first time but when I unsaddled him I saw that the girth had pinched and rubbed sore spots on both sides - boy, did I feel bad!!!!
    Deb Bennett has a lot to contribute but like all other "experts" should be taken with a grain of salt.  And focus on the horse in front of you, considering more than just textbook conformation (or pedigree in reference to another recent thread!).  I agree that there are different types of Spanish Mustangs/American Indian Horses/Spanish Barbs and also some are built better for endurance while others work best at other jobs - just like in other breeds - and, hopefully, we won't ask any horse to do a job it can't do.
    Deb Bennet has been very enthusiastic about Spanish Mustangs but I don't think Dino would get high marks in her conformation books even though he has one type of classic SM looks which make him appear heavy on the front end even though he isn't at all: his neck is thick at the base. But his shoulder is incredible and, because his croup is low and sloping, he can really get his rear under himself.  He doesn't look like an arab but he's a joy to ride on the trail and at the moment his job at 4yo is babysitting my friend's 6 yo arab mare as she gets started on the trail.  Dino has always gone everywhere and confronted everything with bravery and good sense.  (Can you tell I love this horse?!!!?)
Three cheers for  Spanish Mustangs!
Laney

  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=