Fwd: RC: David Boggs Suspension -Reply

In a message dated 9/20/99 10:18:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time, BMcCrary27
writes:

<< In a message dated 9/19/99 2:31:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sunibey@sisqtel.net writes:

 << When you consider that arabs were originally bred to be able to endure
long
  hot miserable treks, fight in fierce battles, and be so gentle they could
  live in the tents with the folks, current show standards seem determined to
  breed all THAT out of them. >>

 I like Arab horses because they are athletic, enthusiastic about going down
the trail and durable.  I like good functioning conformation, that which
allows the horses to be athletic and enduring.  I realize they are often more
reactive than some other breeds, but they are also very alert and make better
"watchdogs"  (watchhorses, we call them) than the dogs do.  They can spot a
coyote or a deer crossing the hillside a quarter-mile away.  It's been a long
time since I have ridden a horse that doesn't spook to some degree.  Some are
worse than others, but I can deal with the mild spooker.  But the very
expression "breeding living works of art" and the way the horses are posed in
halter classes makes me cringe!  Sorry, I like my horses to look like horses,
and I like them to be able to climb hills, descend hills, get where I'm going
faster than I can on foot, and even work cows if asked.  Every horse we own
must be able and willing to allow me to open, pass through, and close any
gate that swings on hinges and doesn't have a sticky latch.  My mare is so
good at this now that I just use my balance and leg cues to position her.
Sometimes I'm inclined to believe she would do it without any cues at all.

 Barbara, who likes an all-around horse that can also cover ground at a 12
mph trot.  Beauty is a bonus, good feet and legs a must.

 Barbara  >>

---- Begin included message ----

---- End included message ----