Re: RC: Wiking grandson/Peirrot son

><<  What you see is what you get. >>
>
>Not always.  What you see is important, but you can't see things like
>metabolic capability, ability to handle stress, etc.  The only insight
>you >have into those are either past performance (for a proven horse) or
>similar >ability in related individuals.  For the latter, one looks at
the >pedigree.

I figured somebody would jump on that statement, but I just have to swing
the pendulum the other direction from those who will talk pedigrees all
day and never look at the horse.  There was actually a guy in our Arabian
club who made the statement "If you are interested in Arabian racing,
bring me your horse's pedigree and I'll tell you if he can run".  Of
course that was on the "breeder's" side of the room.  The derelict
Endurance corner erupted in snorts and titters.

  After seeing the popularity of all sorts of baseball cards, and other
trading cards, I suggest that l perhaps some of the bloodline freaks
could just eliminate the horse from the equation and have big conventions
where they trade registration papers...even from deceased horses would be
fine, and they could put dollar values on pedigrees and collect the ones
they think are best.  The horse is *such* a nuisance sometimes when he
refuses to turn out the quality that his papers insinuate he should be.

Angie