Re: Egyptian Arabians in the Wall Street Journal

Haven't seen the WSJ article yet, but just finished writing one on the
business of horsebreeding here in Egypt.  From the description of the stud,
I think that I know who was talking to WSJ.  She is an interesting
individual who breeds pretty horses....none of whom are ever trained for
riding or anything. Most of the breeders here keep stallions that are ridden
regularly with mares even and are utter darlings  Breeders in Egypt had a
great market in the US when the tax shelter was in force, but since then
it's gone down the tubes. Arab horses are a dime a dozen and studs are going
under like crazy.  The gist of my article was that horsebreeding usually
makes a small fortune if you can start with a large one. <G> There are
people here, locals as well as foreigners, who see a good price in a sale
and think "What a great way to make money with pretty animals".  Some of the
newer breeders have imported stock from Forbis, et. al. and some, not all,
of the older ones are pissed off.  End result: Two breeders associations,
and a rule against imported stock in halter classes. Part of the concern is
that an imported horse could have been Dave Boggs'ed.  Halter shows here are
a pretty rough and ready affair, but as yet no one has called in the plastic
surgeons and ginger is too expensive (and the prize money is too low) to
justify its use.  <VBG>

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg