From: <guest@endurance.net>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 1999 4:30 AM
Subject: RC: Endurance &CTR(stallions)

> Nancy Muller Farafix@aol.com
> I've been riding a yound stallion in CTR's & endurance for about 3 yrs
now, started training him for his "job" at about 2 yrs old.  I took him to a
friend's house who had a small paddock I could pull into with the trailer
and set up his pen.  He was quite excited to see her house 2 paddocks over,
but stayed in his pen --- if he got out he was still enclosed in her
paddock.  I took him to little local shows and set up his pen, just so he
could get used to all the activity.  When he got older I took him to a
judged pleasure ride (he actually got a 10 on a few of the obstacles!) and
went in some hunter classes.  I spent a lot of time riding with other horses
on the trail (thanks to all my brave friends!).  He was raised in a pasture
with free access to the stalls with a gelding & his dam (had to be separated
when she went in season), so he learned horse manners from them.  I would
strongly suggest getting some practise with other horses on the trail before
going to a CTR or LD.  My stallion is very social & really enjoys being with
the other horses, but the flip side is that he wants to slow down to be with
horses behind or speed up to catch the ones in front --- he's more herd
bound than either the mare or gelding.  So it's important to practise going
ahead or dropping back when you practise social trail riding at home.  Be
prepared for mares in heat to pass you on the trail or be in PR stops ---
the mare owners don't always know the condition of their mare.  I always
have a bit in Tempo's mouth when on the ground around other horses, just in
case that "special" mare walks by.
> And yes, sh*t does happen!  I am now thinking of how to devise a double
pen barricade.  Another stallion got loose after we had come in from a 50
miler (we'd done well, so had come in pretty early --- the other stallion
had been pulled, so was back in camp), and my boy was the only other horse
in that area of camp, so we got a visit.  Fortunately, no one (4 legged or
2) were hurt, but it sure scared me!  Thinking that perhaps I can rig up an
outer barricade of plastic that I can get my horse used to, but would spook
away any loose horses.
> When I camp, I try to get next to a fence or tree line & use the trailer
as one side of a visual barricade.  I avoid camping next to mares, geldings
are fine.  The stallion likes to feel he's part of the group, so you need to
get close enough so he doesn't feel ostracised, but not too close to the
other horses.  There are some competitors who now willingly park next to me,
so quess we're not too unruly!  Tempo rarely calls in camp.  He's more
talkative under saddle, which I always get after him (after a reprimand or
two the calling is reduced to a meek squeak).
> Some competitors, esp the more novice ones, can be a little nervous about
a stallion in their midst, so I try to alert everyone & stay away from them
if they are at all squeamish (stallions don't have a good reputation --- &
folks are always a little surprised when a stallion can behave himself, but
I've seen several others that are real gents, so it can be done).  I always
have a yellow ribbon in Tempo's tail, and I tie one on the halter/bridle
under his chin so that folks can tell what he is, coming & going.  I also
have yellow flagging on his pen to alert folks as to what's housed within.