Re: dressage and keeping horse "on the bit"

>In dressage, we are aiming towards a lot more roundness, thus requiring a
good deal more contact with her mou=
>th.  I know we want to avoid hollowing of the back while on the trails,
but how round should the horse be kept mile after=
>mile?  How much contact do most of you use while on the trail?  Do you ask
for more extreme roundness in the dressage ri=
>ng, but accept far less on the trail?

First of all, let's take a look at the meaning of "roundness".  All to
often you see trainers that will crank the horse's head in, often with
training "devices", to make them LOOK as if they're "on the bit"...that is;
neck arched, reins totally straight, back lifted, and increased impulsion.
They are not really "on the bit" ( which really means *on the aids*) nor
are they really "round".  And, this is *not* something that can be done in
just a few months.

Here's what is happening:  The horse's body is being forced into a position
that should be, in REALITY, the result of proper muscle conditioning and
correct use of body cues by the rider...and this takes *years*.  Yes, the
neck is arched...when the head is pulled in with strong contact, it has no
choice...and I guarantee you that it will be cramping and hurting very
shortly.  This, alone, will give you a much more animated horse who could
easily be confused with one that has real increased impulsion (upward lift)
and roundness.  What you end up with is a horse that is heavy on the
forehand (leaning on the rider's hands since it hasn't yet developed self
carriage (the ability to balance himself and the strength to hold it)),
stiff in the back (which will appear "lifted" as it's braced against the
cramping in the neck), and shorter strided (no choice since everything is
all bunched up.)  And the poor rider (who is really causing this problem)
is left feeling as if she has a LOT of contact...which will soon progress
until she feels as if she is holding this horse up in the front with her
bare hands.

A horse that has been properly trained in dressage basics will develop
"roundness" as a RESULT of long term correct muscle conditioning.  When you
use your leg on the horse (calf, not heel, with foot in a heels down
position which makes the calf muscle harder, firmly on and off of the
horse's side) you cause the hind leg to reach under the belly further.
This is enabled by the abdominal muscles.  Stand up and lift your knee
towards your chest.  Which muscles made it possible for you to do that?
(Hint...the abdominals. ;-))  What happened with your back?  (It's pushed
out...or...if you were on all fours, lifted up.)  Your head, in reflex,
will tend to bend down, towards your abdomen.  This is what happens with
the horse as he achieves "roundness"...and it takes a long time to get
those muscles to do this and do it well.

During the time the horse is developing these muscles, the rider maintains
a light but continuous contact (about 2 lbs.) with one rein (the outside
rein if you were in an arena...or pick a side when you're on a straight
trail) and a communicating rein (the "inside" rein) with a soft
give-and-take or a tickling type vibrating with the fingers (varying from
1-3 lbs of contact weight.)  By not providing a solid shelf for the horse
to lean on, the horse is required to balance himself.  AND, with a green
horse particularly, you must FOLLOW his head around for a while in order to
keep your contact on your outside rein at a continuous 2 lb.  Not only does
he learn to trust that you will be consistent and not hurt his mouth an
inconsistent rein, he will eventually develop the ability to hold his heavy
head in a vertical, to slightly in front of the vertical, position without
moving it much and without leaning on you for help.  When he can do this,
he is starting to develop a "top line"...that line of muscle development
that he gets from contracting his belly, lifting his back, bending his
hocks, bringing his hind legs under further, and lifting his shoulder.  The
result is that nicely rounded look that, if it is a TRUE roundness, can be
ridden and maintained with NO contact on the bit...the outside, supporting
rein can be totally loosened to no contact and the horse will not change
his way of going one inch!

Another important point to remember during the horse's "roundness" training
sessions -- when you are encouraging the horse to keep his head steady and
on the vertical (a collected frame), you are asking him to do quite a lot
of continuous exercise with the muscles in his upper neck.  Do not do this
for longer than 5 minutes at a time without giving him a chance to stretch
his neck and relax for a few seconds.

A horse that has been incorrectly schooled and muscled up will be evidenced
by his rider trying to hold him up in front and a *very* well developed
UNDER neck muscle (which can also result from using those training gimmicks
you frequently see.)  Remember..."The horse doesn't lean, the rider pulls."
 I can't remember who said that but it means, basically, that the horse
can't be heavy on the contact if the rider doesn't provide a solid spot for
the horse to lean.  And "roundness" is a RESULT of proper muscle
development over a long period of time, not something that you make the
horse do.

When you're out on the trail -- remember to use your body aids correctly
and consistently and you will eventually have a horse that is nicely
rounded (collected and connected), light on the contact, forward moving
with impulsion, relaxed and moving in the back, and receptive to your cues.
 Instead of the gaits looking as if they're all strung out with a hollow
back, you will get those beautiful reaching front legs that are propelled
by strong haunches (which can be helped along with a generous amount of
hill work and up and down transitions) and a body frame that NOW has real
impulsion, a lifted back, and "roundness"...self carriage!!

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.