First Arabian Horse!

Okay Ridecampers, no one has really addressed Charles's questions.

I have waited to see the answers from the experienced endurance riders as I
have only been doing this for 3 1/2 years, but no one has risen to the
occasion. Charles, the obvious question is,  "How long do you want to wait
before you can really participate in endurance?"

You are considering a 2 year old filly--this is a little baby about 2 most
years away from even being ridden much. Even though she is breed for halter,
her breeding, and maybe even her conformation, have some possibilities BUT
no one will really know what those are for about 2 more years.  She will
change more than you can imagine between now and the time you ride her
seriously.

I bought Tzar when he was 4. He actually came from a show barn and could
have gone that direction. At 4, he was a big baby in every respect.  Now at
6, he is turning into a horse. That is okay because he is being ridden by a
junior (Morgan--age 11) and the two of them can and are growing up together.
They are even coming along much faster than we had ever expected.

On the other hand, I was 46 when I started this sport.  After buying Tzar,
it became very clear that years of slow conditioning and time were not in my
schedule.  While Morgan rides almost every day, I'm lucky to ride twice a
week.  I needed a horse that could teach me.  My next purchase was a 12 year
old mare who was a WEC horse and already conditioned. I learned more from CC
in 6 months than I can describe. When CC was hurt in the ranch pasture last
fall, I was ready to give up.  It was like losing a partner/spouse. (BTW,
she is doing so well now--one year later exactly--that I put a saddle on her
today and we walked and trotted a little!  She was wonderful and pregnant
with my Karahty Baby).

The cost of training and raising a baby is much more than just buying a good
solid proven endurance horse to start with.  Not to mention the fact that a
proven horse will save you from yourself in many instances.

So Charles, what are your expectations and what is your time schedule?

Joane and the Herd
Price, Utah