Big South Fork

Just a quick note about BSF for those of you who are waiting for news.
This is sketchy and half hear say, but it's all you've got so far.

Day one:  50 miler was won by Nina Gibson on St. Patrick Z (or something
like that...she calls him "Goat")  She also won Best Condition!  I think
Niki Young was 2nd on her mare.

There were about 90 horses per day competing.  Maybe 39 or so planned to
do all three days, but the count was down to 16 by last night.  The two
horses next door to our camp got knocked out, one by a sick rider, the
other by a bad girth rub.  Lots of that kind of stuff.

Ed Roley was doing well in the 25's.  Top 5, 2 days and one BC I think.
He was riding again today when I left.

As far as day 2 on the 50 goes... (the only day I rode)  First went to
Nikki Young and her mare, Best Condition went to.....>drum
roll<........KABOOT HERLONG!!!  A fine horse who stands tied behind an
humble sort of gray and primer 2 horse trailer, is ridden by a very
humble rider, with humble tack using humble home made electrolytes.
:-)))))))

Management is doing a great job.  I cannot IMAGINE how they managed to
lay out trails for 3 days of 50's 25's and 2 ride and ties.  The only
gliche was at the start of the 50 when one lone white arrow had been left
up in the wrong place and we did a 5 mile loop right back to camp.  Karen
handled it well, sent us back out, met us there and fixed the sign.
Unfortunately we don't get mileage for the extra 5, but it didn't effect
placings at all sense we just started right over and did the trail right.
 Nobody even got out of order.  I was with the leaders and we didn't have
to pass anybody.  Nobody was mad.  We were just amazed that was the only
time it happened considering all the trail marking they had to do.

When we got there everybody warned us that they'd said Saturday was the
hardest day with 6 major climbs.  They weren't kidding, but at least
there was plenty of water on the trail.  It was much rockier than in the
past (different trails) but ol' flat foot never even gimped and looked
like a million bucks at his BC exam.  54/54 CRI, 10's on movement and
gait, 9.5's on everything else.  490 pts. out of 500 on vet score. :-D
Since we were only 10 minutes behind Nikki, and my rear end is *way*
bigger than hers >blush< we pulled it off.  After 3 "2nd BC's" we finally
quit being the bridesmaid. The family came along and Bill and the girls
did a great job crewing.  Sure is nice when everybody's involved.

Don't know if I'll write anything more detailed than this...other than
you really do deserve a good description of me loading a syringe with
powdered electrolytes, with a sponge in my hand, at a gallop, going down
a ravine.:-/

Angie and her *very* good horse Kaboot