Re: RC: Re: Breeding theories (was *Muscat)

Heidi,

Interesting opinion.  Perhaps there is anecdotal evidence to support a
breeding program such as you describe.  I'm not aware of any scientific
evidence that "breeding extremely old mares to young stallions
and extremely old stallions to young mares" can improve chances of a
successful outcome.  Even the most successful (by any criteria, whether it's
conformation, performance, disposition, color, whatever) breeding program is
subject to chance.  When you combine the genetic material from any two
individuals, the possibilities are impossible to predict or enumerate.  At
best you can make an educated guess, then play the odds.  I don't think that
using genetic material from elderly mares or stallions does anything to
improve the odds of a good outcome.

Peggy Rinehart
Ramona, CA