Need opinions! - Followup

To clear up some misunderstandings regarding my post...
The horses were not to be continuously stalled, they were to be let out for
mild exercise in a large, arena sized paddock instead of the 50 acre
pasture. They were to be out in the evening and overnight. My intention was
to keep their calorie useage low, in order that they may benefit most from
the feed. After a month, they were to be kept in the arena all the time.
They were difficult to feed properly in the pasture, catching being the
prime problem, as well as fighting and general handling issues {they would
come easily if they were close enough to see the buckets}. Also, I had
wanted to keep the exercise down until we got a good weight base back on.

The owner had wanted them out running 24/7. They were, and I was
supplementing them while they were out as best I could, but it was not
resulting in any significant weight gain, and I AM on a budget,
too...throwing feed away is not in anyone's best interests.

As for questions regarding the horses condition, the two most severe rate on
the Henneke scale as 0-1. The others I would just call thin - not too bad,
but definately thin. She does not believe they are 'that bad', just thin.
Having done rehab in the past, I am well aware of the difference. Working
with the humane society back home, I have assisted in the removal of horses
that were in better condition than these. This lady is a nice person, just
lacks the cash to feed them, and I have tried to help in any way I can,
without being accusatory or getting anyone of authority involved.

However, I have suggested that she may be more comfortable with her horses
back home, and she has agreed. I can't force her to let me help and I am not
going to threaten - as that will not get me or the horses anywhere. But I
certainly can't have emaciated horses on my property where I may be
responsible for their condition, if she is unwilling to allow me to feed
them properly.

And thank you for all your opinions. I got opinions from every angle, most
suggesting a compromise {in stalls part of time and out part of time} which
is really what I intended in the first place {with them going in the large
arena area}, and what I proposed to her, and it was not sufficient. I DO NOT
stall horses except in cases of illness {or rehab} or for brief training
episodes so that they will be used to being stalled if ever required....so
please don't think me a stall advocate - I'm not - just in this situation I
felt it was warranted.
Again, thanks!