Need opinions!

I have a situation that I would like some fellow horsepeople's opinion on.
Please, any input as well as studies you can quote on or whatnot would be
appreciated.
I entered into an agreement to pasture several horses for another party. The
deal was only to provide whatever natural grass the acreage had - no
supplementing. Well, her horses arrived, most in thin but ok condition, two
in severely malnourished condition. Spines high in the air, hipbones
protruding, ribs, sunken necks, pot bellies. Naturally, I feel bad - I knew
they were thin...but the grass alone - especially summer grass...will not
get these horses in any weight that I would consider safe.

I offered an alternate deal - I will supplement her horses and have them in
good weight in a few months time, then she can take them home. My solution,
given the facilities I have, and the nature of the horses {friendly, but
almost no training...the two starved ones no training at all} was to get the
three worst into stalls and feed hay/beet pulp/and an amount of high fat
pelleted feed. {starting small and acclimating them to the good feed} Offer
them mild exercise in an enclosed area outside the stall daily, but no
running wildly about on the acreage as they'd done when they first arrived.
I had intended to do this for a month until some weight had been established
and them used to some handling...then graduate them to a large enclosed pen
{arena sized} and continue with the feeding.

She disagrees, and says it is better for them to be out running around, even
if thin. Now, I HATE stalling horses {all mine are out on acreage}, but I
feel for rehab situations, temporary confinement is extremely helpful in
getting the weight started back on..and the handling they are getting
certainly helps. Additionally, they are young horses and they run like crazy
when out {because there are healthy horses out there, too}...which would
mean I would have to really pour feed down them to acheive the same results
as less feed with less exercise. Plus, they do fight over any supplements I
may try to give when they are out, and will not eat beet pulp when turned
out {it's new to them}.

Now - what do you folks think? Is there any studies/ info out there? BOTH
she and I would like some concrete evidence of which is preferable, or at
least some other folk's input. I have used my method before with excellent
results, but she says she's alwasy used her method...{and she says she
prefers thin horses on acreage than well-fed horses that are  stalled...but
thin is different that malnourished, and at least two of these definately
fit into that catagory}so I'd really like anyone's input. I know stalled
horses will colic more than pastured ones...but given the situation I think
it is still the best route temporarily, until weight is gained.

Help!