horse breeding in Texas too.

Correct thinking here... a horse's pedigree can only give a clue. I enjoyed
your two cents worth.  If one had the opportunity to breed 300 mares to the
same stallion you could start to see some patterns in the foals,  however,
you would see 300 different animals based on genetics of those mares and if
one bred those mares back to the same stallion, 300 different siblings would
foal out and so forth.
  Then there's the environment..each cell, each unit, each horse is a
product of not only the pedigree but how it is raised, too.(feed, care,
training, horse management)  Pedigrees are a great beginning. They can
certainly assist the knowledgeable breeder who has done the research (and by
this I mean the breeders who not only do the book work but travel to the
different farms and see all the living examples of that line and learn from
the breeders and horsemen/women before them).
 Its a life work isn't it.
 I spent two glorious weeks in Poland traveling to the stud farms looking at
their fabulous mares several years ago so I could understand, a tiny bit
more, about their  great racing lines. Some of the old time breeders go back
every year! The Poles have been doing organized breeding for some 50 years
and it is amazing how the collective breeding methods remain there today.
Several different farms competing against each other, traveling at foaling
time to evaluate the seasons "crop", in the fall again to determine careers.
Planning breeding by the "committee" approach under the management and
coordination of the Dept. of Agriculture...moving stallions around the
country to different farms to try out different combinations-sending the 2
year olds to the training centers in Warsaw at the track to evaluate their
soundness.   It is quite a  lesson for us "capitalistic/private enterprise"
breeders in the "western world" ..my two cents worth
Claudia Spears,
DiamondCrestArabians