Muscat

CatThom2@aol.com said:

> My training partner just bought a 4 year old gelding (her first Arab) and
> neither one of us are well versed in bloodlines.  His grandsire was
Muscat
> and I remember seeing pictures of him in Arabian Horse World years ago,
but
> don't remember if he was halter or performance.  If anyone has any info
on
> him, please e-mail me privately.

I don't want to discourage you from investigating this horse's
bloodlines.  By all means, find out all you can about every
relative on his papers.

I just want to share one of the hardest lessons I learned in my
years of researching pedigrees and visiting horses:

  The mediocre offspring of the mediocre offspring of famous
  horses are legion.

Translation:  even great sires have mostly mediocre offspring.
These mediocre offspring are often purchased by neophyte breeders
looking for name recognition in their first stallion.  (Not
a bad idea, in and of itself.)  The mediocre offspring in turn
produce mostly horses no better (and often worse) than themselves.
This second generation gets advertised all over in horse
publications as "grandson of So-and-So."

So, if you want to understand what a horse is and where he
comes from, you can't just focus on famous grandsires.  Most
horses have numerous famous horses in their pedigrees, even
close up.  It don't mean diddly.

Please note that nothing that I have said precludes your
partner's horse from being an exceptional offspring of an
exceptional offspring of a famous horse.  The trick is
finding the latter and staying away from the former!

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Linda_Merims@ne.3com.com
Massachusetts, USA