Muscat Breeding

Our Muscat is our pride and joy! Our Baby Tzar was purchased as a four year
old. He had 30 days under saddle and we were warned that he had bucked his
first trainer off twice and been sent home. He is Muscat breeding (check
archives for prior discussions of this line).  I bought him because I
thought he would hit 16 hh and now at age 6, he is close.

He seemed so narrow when I got him home that I felt guilty riding him so I
put our littlest ranch cowboy, Morgan Young, then age 9, on him.  The rest
of the summer and fall of 1997, they spent the entire day, almost every day,
going over some of the most rugged mountain county in Utah.  The two
"Babies" formed a bond that is incredible. None of the cowboy crew was
overly impressed with my arabian horses, least of all this little guy who
wore a cinch size 15 inches.

Tzar has the most inquisitive nature I have ever seen in a horse.  This is
the kind of horse that could have lived in the Arab's tent.  He actually put
his head through the window and watched me wallpaper the bunkhouse.  He is
in the middle of everything Morgan does--including chasing snakes! Imagine
my concern to see the 9 year old standing on his saddle on the barely green
broke horse with both of them trying to peek into the woodpecker's hole in
the tree. Most of us would expect disaster but not this pair--they know what
they are doing.

Now two years later, they are consistently winning their LD's and should be
doing 50's (as the vets always point out).  Unfortunately, neither Grandpa's
horse nor I can keep up with them.  Tzar runs into  vet checks with a
heartrate of 48 (resting 28).  He loves endurance and would do anything for
Morgan.  I trust this wonderful animal because I know he has a mind.  He is
very smart and trusting. He and Morgan are a team in every sense of the word.

In his spare time, Tzar has taken dressage lessons with Morgan and is now
trying his hand at Western Pleasure, Reining, and all the speed events.  In
their first three horse shows, this team has garnered three first place
trophies and 28 ribbons. They have discovered "high gear" are their barrel
times are amazing considering neither had ever seen the pattern until a
month ago.

Tzar is also an excellent cowpony which is how he earns his keep!

I don't have any other Muscats with which to compare Tzar, but this guy is
certainly a great embassador for the breed in general and the Sire in
particular.

Even the cowboy crowd has a deep respect for Tzar's stamina and common
sense.  I marvel at the energy as they race ahead of us and then run back to
make sure we are okay and then go off exploring the trail again.  They are
doing 50's just getting us through an LD!  I would certainly try another Muscat!

Joane and the Herd
Price, Utah