puncture in coronet band

On a CTR Saturday, my horse got a small puncture on his coronet band at the front of the hoof.  There's also a small, shallow tear about 3/4 of an inch long in the very upper hoof material below the puncture.  I want to keep the hoof from splitting further if possible.  The vet helped me wrap up the leg and we put an Easy Boot on the hoof to help support the tear and hold the bandage.

The ride was through tall grass and was rocky and rough - lots of minor leg damage on the horses.  The farrier is coming tomorrow.  If anyone has sucessfully treated this sort of injury and has ideas on keeping the hoof wall from becoming more damaged, please let me know.  I'm hoping epoxy or something along those lines can at least make my horse rideable for the rest of the season.  We can't use a plate and screws over the tear because it is in the softer tissue.

Ideas & suggestions welcome!

Thanks -