Personal Evaulation of OF models, very unscientific

Well after trying allot of OF saddles and reading even more about them, I
bought an Endurance Cutback.
I also came to the conclusion that these saddles do seem like they would
fit most horses, but they do not
fit most people.   The below is just personal take on my own experience and
the experience from RCers
who sent me a ton of Email (this is in no way scientific)

I will start with the English models (Endurance Cutback, Versatile,
Stichdown)

These saddles are all very nice English style saddles, no large pommel to
get in the way.  Allot of English riders
can not get used to the large pommel of the other models, and found these
models to feel the best.

Versatile:  This saddle has knee blocks, and is not made for someone under
5'4".  If you are under 5'4", your knees
just do not fit in the bend of the knee block correctly.  I suspect if you
are over 5'8" with a long leg, you would also
have this problem.  This seat (along with allot of English style OF seats)
is very padded, and for someone built a
little on the heavy side, with most of the weight in the hip/seat area, I
think you'd find this uncomfortable, you would
feel like you are sitting to much on top of the saddle instead of sitting
in the seat of the saddle

Endurance Cutback:  This saddle has thigh blocks, so for someone short who
can't use the model knee blocks, this
works much better for almost any height, (cept for someone shorter, around
4'9") someone that short, again their
knees would hit the thigh blocks and give you an improper ride.  Again,
this seat is very padded and a larger
seat person may not find this comfortable.

Stichdown:  A very nice saddle for almost any height, but again, very
padded, and if you heavy, you wont like
the seat.

Western Style/Endurance Style ,

These saddles are not as conformable as the English styles, but you can
remedy that with a sheep skin seat pad
Allot of English riders may not like the large pommels on these, something
to get used to.  They also have long
flaps, so people 4'11" or under may have trouble.  The seats at not as
padded, so it would feel good on a heavy
seated person.

American Outback:  This saddle has a small thigh block and would be good
for almost any height, cept for the
long flaps.  The seat is padded but not as padded as the English models.

Patriot Officer:  This has a smaller pommel compared to his cousins and
larger thigh blocks then the AO, the flaps
are a bit shorter.

Softsteel Patriot:  No knee or thigh blocks, large pommel -  western riders
would like this saddle, English riders
would have some trouble getting used to it.

Standard:  I really didn't see much of a difference between the Softsteel
and the Standard, so what ever fits your
horse better

Express Lite:  Thigh blocks, nice size pommel for those not used to them.

Do I want a saddle w/ thigh or knee blocks?:  This is a personal choice. If
you are used to using a knee roll on
your saddle now, then you will most likely feel better with one of them..
If you are an western rider, and you never
had any kind of block, then don't bother trying and OF with them, you'll
hate them

How do I know if I want thigh or knee blocks?  This question is based on
your height.  If you are under 5'4" you then you
want a thigh block, if you are 5'4" or over, then you will most likely want
knee blocks.

Girths:  Another personal opinion is I hate the girths the OFs come with.
I much prefer a Dressage style girth with
stretchies on both ends.  I could not get the OF girth tight enough, but I
had not problem with the Dressage girth.
You can also get a Dressage girth in many styles and many materials.  My
horse is allergic to biothane kind
of material that the OFs are made of, so they are not an option for me
anyway.  They cause to much heat
and friction on my horses belly, I need a full wool gith.

well, I think that is it for my unscientific OF evaulation.

Louisa and Sultan in Mass...