Re: RC: Complaint

Linda I hope you find the following entertaining.  When Manfred was in
Mongolia it was quite easy (and cheap) to hire a driver to drive across
Mongolia.  It was also easy to follow the trail as there was only one.
As to how he got across the Pacific ocean he had to charter a 747 for him
and his horses, his truck and trailer were shipped by ship.  When Manfred
entered South Korea his horses were put into quarantine, blood was drawn
and he was told that his guiding had eyeuritues (sp?) an eye disease.  He
begged them to redraw the blood and retest but the state veterinarian
flatly refused.  He was given the option of returning to Germany or
having his horse destroyed.  He appealed to the U.S. and German embassy
and was given permission to fly his horses to Los Angeles,(the only
quarantine station on the west coast).  This trip cost him $18,000.00 to
charter the plane and ship his vehicles.  It seams there is not much call
to fly horses out of South Korea so he had no choice but to charter a
plane.  When he reached Los Angeles the horses again were put into
quarantine for 4 days.  Tests proved them to be in excellent health, but
mares and stallions have to be kept in additional quarantine at  UCDavis,
mares 15 days stallions   30 days.  His guiding was released and he had
to make arrangements to ship the mare to Davis, as his own rig had not
arrived by ship yet.  The mare was fine all except for one small problem,
she was pregnant!  Manfred figured that it must have happened when he
left his horses in Mongolia for a few months in the winter while he
returned home to Germany.  ( He goes home every winter for 3 months or so
to keep an eye on his business and to write for a German horse magazine
that is helping to sponsor his trip).

Of course this meant a delay for the start of his trip.  A colt was born
in April and the mare and colt are presently in Carson City, Nevada.  The
colt will be weaned soon so Manfred can have the use of both of his
horses.  He usually rides one and ponies the other and changes off
several times in a day.. The prospect of hiering a driver in the US is an
expensive proposition and we have been trying to find volunteers to help
him with the rig.  As you can imagine with all the extra added expenses
he incurred this year money is tight.

I learned about Manfred on ridecamp and as that I live on the Tevis trail
I offered him a place to stay and found with the help of Sandy Rovine
(who rode with him from discovery park to Robinson flats (about a 150
miles) other riders to help him across the Sierras and on to Nevada.  Tom
Sherwood road with him to Washoe Valley and he is presently riding with
Cliff Lewis and should be in Fernley Nevada tonight.  Yes Manfred needs
help in his quest and any kind of help would be appreciated.  Sandy and I
hope to catch up with Manfred Monday or Tuesday on our way to the Ducks
ride in Utah.  Any one who would like to help manfred he has a cell phone
and can be reached at 530 219-0534.  Sandy and I set up a savings account
for him that he can access with an ATM card.  Anyone caring to donate
money can make the check out to Manfred Schultz and male it c/o Young
8001 Gorman Ranch Road, Foresthill, CA 95631.

It has truly been a pleasure to meet and help this quiet shy man and his
wonderful horse (only got to meet Pushkin, as the mare was in Carson
City).  I have no doubt that Manfred will complete his trip around the
world.  He is an extraordinary individual with a remarkable dream.  We
should all be so lucky to live out our dreams as he is.
Corky Young