The National Championship

k s swigart katswig@earthlink.net
> Kat, For those of us who raced, I'm sure to the person we would all
> disagree.

Disagree with what, my statement that endurance is different things to different
people, so how to define a champion will be different for different people...and
to try to please everybody is doomed to failure?  That there is no "fair" way to
crown A national champion?

> They raced hard, some won, others placed.  It was exciting, fun
> and competative.  I'd do it again in a heart beat.  Wish you were there to
> feel the excitement.  Well, maybe next year.

I am sure that it was exciting, but it is unlikely that I will be there next year,
since right now I am 'doing the multi-day thing' (and will be until 2001 XP), but
even so, it will still be unlikely that I would go, unless they offer points for
the ride...since my one endurance goal is to win the National 100 mile award.

Personally, that would be more meaningful to me

..and if I had a goal of winning one ride, it would be Tevis (the Old Dominion
would be cool too, but it is to far to go for me).  Winning a ride with over 200
entries means a whole lot more to me than winning one with (what was the biggest
weight division??) 5??

> Hope so.  I'd like to have
> the chance to really put you away in an out and out race.  Now  thats fun
> and exciting. Come on out and race with us.  Feel the excitement and have
> fun. The NC is what this sport is all about.

To me, this ride has very little to do with what this sport is about....now Steve
Shaw's idea of a 3 day 200 (50, 50, 100), THAT you would get me to show up
for...and that you would get me to say "Yep, I don't care who and/or how many show
up...the horse that wins THAT is a champion!"  Even if I didn't show up....But
there wouldn't be any of this weight division bullshit.  True champions take on
all comers--they don't ask for handicaps.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  If you want to race against me, you'll have to wait, since the next 2 1/2
years are dedicated to photographing the rides...I am not racing, I am just making
sure that I get to see the entire trail...stopping along the way to take
photographs.  If you come to a ride that I am in, I can get one of you....but only
if you ride somewhere near me :)

And seeing the trail....for most people...THAT'S what this sport is really about.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-