Pan Am Experience Part 2

Back in the USA

Part 2

Highway 35 Crossing

Sunday morning, as we started pulling out, the trailer brakes locked up. Unbeknownst to us, a dark cloud was beginning to form above us. Bo unplugged the trailer wire as a quick solution. We stopped a few miles down the road, away from the Sunday ride festivities, and Bo quickly fixed the problem. We drove west into Saskatchewan providence and headed to the border crossing on Hwy. 35. Mount Rushmore was our destination.

Upon reaching the border crossing, the inspectors asked the normal questions and then asked what was in the trailer and if it had been for sale? They asked us to open the trailer and they quickly determined that some of the items were not listed on the inventory sheet. After consulting with other US and the Canadian Inspectors, we were ordered to turn around and proceed directly to the Portal, ND station.

Turning around meant we had to go through the Canadian Customs. After a lengthy search and inspection, it was determined we owed duty to enter Canada. After all the paperwork is completed it is 9:00 p.m. and a storm is brewing, but we were expected in Portal, so we continued on.