EHSC--Moonshyne's Back Part 3

Saturday morning dawned crisp, cold and clear.  The last time I rode this
ride it was the same trail we were riding this year so I knew the scenery
would be spectacular.  Karen and I started off at the end of the pack
leisurely walking down the driveway.  Moonshyne felt great and I had a good
feeling about how the day would end.  Because Jackie had been riding her all
over these trails she handled everything with ease.  Our only problem was
when we missed the trail down to the first vet check and rode about a mile
out of the way.  We missed the turn off because we were passing Trilby right
where the trail turned and none of us saw the ribbons.  Yes, I said passing
Trilby.  The first vet check was a trot out after criteria with no hold.
Moonshyne trotted out her normal self though the vet, not the one from the
pre ride check, though she might be a little off.  Jackie was right there to
say that was how she always travelled and she was right.  Moonshyne stayed
the same all day long.  We rode up to a spectacular waterfall and then down
and back to camp for lunch.  When I trotted her out for the vet at lunch he
asked me to trot circles both ways also.  I asked if he saw anything on the
out and back trot and he said no but he just wanted to see how she trotted
circles.  Moonshyne was not happy about trotting circles and really pinned
her ears and scowled and even tried to bite my shoulder.  I was so
embarrassed.  The second loop was beautiful with mountains and meadows and
cows and streams.  Moonshyne performed like the pro she is.  She drank, ate,
pooped and peed.  I felt like I was riding my best buddy again.  We finished
a little after 5 and I have never felt the sense of accomplishment that I
felt after this ride.  And we finished Tevis and Outlaw Trail together.  I
have learned that endurance horses have tremendous recuperative abilities
and that good horses can overcome and beat the odds.  Vets are wonderful to
work with but they don't have all the answers.  Sometimes we have to listen
to the voice within and do what we feel is right for our horses.  Time is a
wonderful healer and cold lemonade tastes great.  As a result of this
experience I have a closer bond to Moonshyne and I have a half sister of
hers that I purchased from endurance.net.  I hope no one out there
experiences what I did but it was a learning and growing experience and we
made the best of it.  I learned that it isn't helpful to look back and say
why me but instead to look at each situation as an opportunity for progress
in our life experience.

Happy Trails to everyone,
Marci Cunningham & FM Moonshyne+/
Bakersfield CA