Pan Am part 2

  Well, we're now ready for the ride.  It rained overnight and was overcast
in the AM.  The ride was moved from 5AM to 5:30, I think to allow spectators
to be able to see the start. Didn't work, too dark with the clouds to see
much of anything. I hate having a dark bay horse that disappears under me in
the dark.  That is the only time I want a grey!!.
  Our team of 4 started out together at a moderate pace.  Gail's horse
didn't understand the philoshophy and I don't think she had time to explain
it clearly to him.  He was a basket case seeing all those in front of him.
Melissa'a horse Charbiel and Sha-Win were more easily controlled, but still
they had caught the fever of the BIG ride.  Jan horse, Mastermind was all
business and steady as a rock.
  If you have never seen this sand you wouldn't believe it. I think 90miles
was in sand, deep, deeper and deepest.  The worst was the sand dunes which
was about hock deep which we had to negotiate parts of 3 times.  The horses
heart rates were much higher than normal at any given speed.
  Getting through the first check with my excited horse would be my biggest
challenge.  we were each in a small area that we were not allowed to leave
except to get checked.  We had to walk down an aisleway to a buffer zone
before the pulse takers.  We could sponge in the aisle, not in the buffer
zone or in pulse area. No electronic devices allowed in the buffer zone.  I
got yelled at each time to remove my heartbelt.  We could stand in the
buffer zone 45sec only then we had to get checked or get a 30 min penalty.
I led this slow parade down the aisle with two people sponging until the
buffer zone. Then the vet or chef checked my heartrate for 30-45 sec.  On to
the pulsers then on to the vets.  I fortunately had no problems all day with
my pulse except due to the difficulty of the terrain it took me longer than
normal to come down to 60.
  I heard later fron the vets that few horses had any gut sounds at the
first check, but passed the CRI fine and went on. Sha-Win had them, but
diminished.  Eating fine.
  Our crewing area was next to the East team.  My husband said "Don't even
try to catch them!"  They were ALL in and out before I even got there!!!
Wow!!  They were unbeatable that day.
  Our team broke up some now.  I spent much of the day riding with Melissa
Crain and Candy Barbo, another rider from the CTZ.  Jan was ahead and Gail
behind.
  On the third leg, we had pit crews at the "P" stops and we each stayed
5-10 minutes at the 3 stops and fed our horses.  Coming in from this leg we
saw other horses dragging and going slow.  Our horses charged in.  One vet
said horse coming in on this leg looked like they were beaten with rubber
hoses.  Ours felt and looked good.
  I'll add the end in a little bit.
Roberta Harms